NURSES ACT, 1985
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
PRELIMINARY AND GENERAL
1. Short Title.
4. Establishment day.
AN BORD ALTRANAIS
6. Establishment of An Bord Altranais.
7. Dissolution of former Board.
8. Seal of Board.
9. Membership of Board.
10. Appointment of persons to be members of Board.
11. Election of members of the Board.
12. First meeting of the Board.
13. Committees of the Board.
14. Expenses of members of Board and committees.
15. Removal of Board from office.
16. Chief Executive Officer.
17. Other officers and servants of Board.
18. Age limits.
20. Membership of either House of Oireachtas or of Assembly of European Communities by officer or servant of Board.
21. Accounts of Board.
22. Power of Board to borrow.
23. Acceptance of gifts by Board.
24. Expenses of Board and Minister.
27. The register.
28. Registration in the register of nurses.
29. Correction of register.
30. Registration of persons in ancillary profession.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
31. Rules for courses of training and examinations for candidates for registration in the register of nurses.
32. Rules for courses of training and examinations for nurses.
33. Holding of examinations, etc.
34. Approval by the Board of hospitals and institutions suitable for training purposes.
35. Entry into hospital etc. for training.
36. Miscellaneous functions of Board in relation to education and training.
37. Duty to ensure compliance with minimum standards specified by Council of European Communities.
FITNESS TO PRACTISE
38. Inquiry by the Fitness to Practise Committee into the conduct of a nurse.
39. Erasure or suspension of registration from register for professional misconduct, unfitness to practise or failure to pay retention fee.
40. Attaching of conditions to retention on register.
41. Powers of Board to advise, admonish, etc.
42. Erasure from register of persons convicted of indictable offences.
43. Continuance of existing inquiry.
44. Application by Board for order suspending registration.
45. Privilege in respect of certain matters.
46. Notification to Minister of name erased or restored and of suspensions imposed and terminated.
47. Restoration to register of name removed or termination of suspension for non-payment of retention fee.
48. Arrangements with persons to assist Board.
49. Improper use of title of nurse, midwife, etc.
50. Report by Board.
51. General advisory functions of Board.
52. Functions in relation to Directives etc. adopted by Council of European Communities.
53. Assignment to Board of additional functions.
54. References to An Bord Altranais.
56. Regulations regarding adaptations.
57. Notice to be given to health board by midwife.
58. Prohibition on attending childbirth.
59. Prosecution of offences.
RULES IN RELATION TO MEMBERSHIP AND MEETINGS OF AN BORD ALTRANAIS (THE NURSING BOARD)
ACTS REFERRED TO
European Assembly Elections Act, 1977
||1977, No. 30
European Assembly Elections Act, 1984
||1984, No. 6
|Finance Act, 1895
||58 and 59 Vic. c. 16
Health Act, 1970
||1970, No. 1
Local Government (Superannuation) Act, 1956
||1956, No. 10
Local Government (Superannuation) Act, 1980
||1980, No. 8
Medical Practitioners Act, 1978
||1978, No. 4
Midwives Act, 1944
||1944, No. 10
Nurses Act, 1950
||1950, No. 27
Nurses Act, 1961
||1961, No. 18
|Petty Sessions (Ireland) Act, 1851
||1851, c. 93
Number 18 of 1985
NURSES ACT, 1985
AN ACT TO PROVIDE FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A BOARD TO BE KNOWN AS AN BORD ALTRANAIS OR, IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, THE NURSING BOARD WHICH SHALL PROVIDE FOR THE REGISTRATION, CONTROL AND EDUCATION OF NURSES AND TO PROVIDE FOR OTHER MATTERS RELATING TO THE PRACTICE OF NURSING AND THE PERSONS ENGAGED IN SUCH PRACTICE AND TO PROVIDE FOR THE REPEAL OF THE NURSES ACTS, 1950 AND 1961, AND TO PROVIDE FOR OTHER MATTERS CONNECTED WITH THE MATTERS AFORESAID.
[19th November, 1985]
BE IT ENACTED BY THE OIREACHTAS AS FOLLOWS: